I made these coming straight out of my green coat escapades (luckily fixed, but it took a long time..). By comparison, making these was just a joyful and easy task. I cut and fused them a couple of months ago, and then sewing them up literally took one day per coat. Now, I have made a few coats and I’m a pretty quick maker, but by any standard that’s a pretty speedy pattern! What helps is: the excellent drafting, the very good instructions, the lack of tailoring techniques needed and the fact that they’re just so.. miniature. If you’re ever scared of tackling a new sewing skill, I highly recommend making it in a kids format first – it’s just so much more manageable.
I made these using gorgeous wool that I bought from Kashi at Metro Textiles in NYC in the fall. On the bolt, they didn’t look that fantastic but they sewed up beautifully and the end result is great. I bought two colours: red for brunette B, and a deep indigo/violet for blondie Z. Then for the body lining, I used kitty quilting cotton for B and Cotton+Steel arrows for Z; they were also both lined with Thinsulate to make sure they would be warm enough. Finally for the sleeve lining I used some Bemberg lining to make sure they’d slip on and off easily.