This one was a long time coming – in fact, I bought the fabric from Britex in San Francisco a few years ago. At the time I was still mightily intimidated by fabric stores, so I skulked up to the remnants floor in the attic, and lo and behold the most wonderful stripy rayon emerged! It’s been sitting in my stash ever since as it wasn’t weather-appropriate.. thank goodness for mid-winter vacations.
This time, I used the waistband of my TNT Simplicity 2343, and self-drafted the skirt. I measured the widest point of my hips (while sitting down – very important for we ladies who spread), added 5 inches of ease, and cut a rectangle that size. Side benefit of no side seams: no stripe matching!
Then, I fit the top to the waistband by making four inverted pleats. I must say, this didn’t 100% work out – it’s slightly too tight at the top – so I think I will be re-doing the top using tucks instead which can spread out when I move about. At the back, a trusty invisible zipper (confession: I’ve never done any other type…).
I also made a total rookie error of making myself a long tubular skirt.. that I couldn’t walk in. Luckily, an easy fix – I made a 12 inch finished slit up the back, and voila! Walking.
The top is made out of purple stable jersey also from Britex, and it’s another trusty Renfrew – can’t go wrong! I did my vertical-only FBA again, and I finished it with Liberty fabric bias (a Christmas present from my Mum) on the inside… lovely.
I ended up wearing it on a windy day, giving me a delightfully swishy first wear… In order to retain the memory of sun and sand for as long as possible, I leave you with a few more photos:
So, when are you going to start sewing for the spring and summer, dear readers?
Nicole at The Somnolent Daschund (how’s that for a cool name?!) kindly nominated me for a Liebster Award, which is for small blogs (with under 200 followers) to help everyone find blogs they wouldn’t normally have come across. Thanks, Nicole!
So the format is, I answer 5 questions given to me by Nicole and share 5 facts, and then I nominate 5 others.
1. Play by the rules or rebel? I feel boring writing this, but I think I’m more of a by the rules girl! That said, once I properly know the rules, sometimes I do go rogue…
2. Biggest influence on me today? I think all the lovely sewing bloggers that I follow – there’s so much inspiration out there, and it just makes me want to get better and do more!
3. Guilty pleasure? Scandal. Do I really need to explain any more? No.
4. Advice to my past self? Start sewing earlier! Why did you wait until you turned 30, fool?!
5. Favourite food? Agh, there are too many. I’m a big fan of Middle Eastern, Japanese, Indian, Korean, Mexican, Chinese… ok, everything. Food.
And 5 random facts:
1. I have a black belt in Karate. It’s true.
2. During the day I attempt to save the world.
3. I’ve lived in 9 different countries
4. My best nicknames are Jenstar and Jennington
5. I have the same full bust measurement as Mary at Idle Fancy 🙂
My nominations for a Liebster are some of my fave curvy bloggers (represent!)