Learning to sew when you’re curvy is a revelation – suddenly, you’ve got unlimited options rather than a rack of polyester cold-shoulder tops. But, it can be frustrating when you don’t fit into a “straight” size out of the packet (almost no-one does!), and the prospect of learning to adjust patterns can be daunting. That’s why I developed a new workshop, Fitting for Curves: Pattern Adjustments for the Upper Body, which de-mystifies fitting once and for all.
Learn to fit with videos + an eBook
Fitting for Curves is an online workshop which consists of two elements to help you master the techniques, whatever your learning style:
- 21 clear and easy to follow videos which cover the basics of how to measure yourself, pick a pattern size to start from, and make a muslin, and then dive into sixteen common pattern adjustments to address fitting the bust, neck, shoulders, back and arms, including multiple types of Full Bust Adjustment.
- A downloadable 45 page eBook accompanies the videos, giving step-by-step illustrated instructions which you can use to follow along and refer to at any time. You can view the eBook on your computer, tablet or phone, or print it out if you’d like a hard copy to keep by your sewing machine.
By the end of the course, you’ll feel confident in diagnosing fit issues in the upper body, and know how to fix them, so you can make garments that fit really well.
The online format means you can learn from the comfort of home, without having to block out time in your schedule or travel to a class. You can also go at your own pace, and because the videos are available to you forever, so you can refer back to them whenever you need to, as you tackle new patterns or sew for other people. There’s also a place to ask questions and get personalized feedback.
What you’ll learn in the workshop
You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of plus size fitting, including:
- How to measure yourself to make sure your garment will fit
- How to choose a pattern size to start from
- How to make a muslin
- Multiple types of Full Bust Adjustment, including FBA on a 1 dart bodice, 2 dart bodice, princess seam, knit bodice, and dartless bodice.
- How to get a smooth bust fit by raising, lowering, splitting or rotating darts
- How to prevent the dreaded gaping armholes and necklines
- How to adjust shoulder width and position to fit your frame
- How to fix fabric pooling caused by a hollow chest
- Four approaches to back fit including sway back adjustments on patterns with and without a center back seam
- How to make your sleeves more comfortable with a full bicep adjustment
I decided to develop this workshop after hearing from so many women that they struggle with fitting, and want advice that’s tailored to a curvy body, and results in contemporary garments (no more crazy muumuus needed, thank you very much). I hope you find it helpful!
Are you interested in other online workshops? Check out these other options:
- Shirt Making for Curves: sew the no-gape shirt of your dreams!
- Pattern Hacking for Curves: learn 10 ways to alter the Springfield Top into 10 totally different garments.
- Jeans Making for Curves: sew along and make your dream pair of dreams!