If you haven’t heard, Amazon have their own version of Black Friday every year, called “Prime Day“. It’s actually a day and a half, and it gives pretty big discounts to people who have an Amazon Prime membership. If you’re wondering if Prime membership is worth it for you, here’s a great little calculator. You can also get a 30 day free trial of Prime.
I am a HUGE user of Amazon Prime, but the reason I’m mentioning it today, is because there are some great sewing related offers for Prime Day this year!
The offers roll out during the day, so I’ve highlighted the time (Eastern Standard Time) that they’re going live – until then, the discounts aren’t announced, but they’re usually pretty great. As a caveat: I haven’t used all these machines and tools, so definitely do your research and read the reviews before buying, and double check other sites to compare pricing. Also note that they have a limited number of products in the Prime Day Sale before they go back to regular pricing, so if you want to buy, you need to do it pretty quickly!
Save on sewing machines
Beginner/introductory sewing machines
When you start to sew, you don’t need tons of bells and whistles on your machine – a straight stitch, zig zag and buttonhole will be fine! Here are some great beginner machines, which would also be good for children and teenagers.
Singer 7258 – $190 reduced to $107.49
- 100 stitches
- 7 automated buttonholes
- Includes zipper foot, buttonhole foot, blind hem foot and more
- 4.5 stars on Amazon with 2,445 customer reviews
- This machine has many 5/5 star reviews on PatternReview.com, including this one by KSmithSews (link).
Singer 1304 – goes on sale 6.50am EST July 11 (Currently $69.30)
- Basic model: 6 stitches including straight and zigzag
- Automatic 4-step buttonhole
- 3 feet: basic, buttonhole, zipper
- 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 613 reviews
Brother XM1010 – goes on sale 1.20pm EST July 11 (Currently $101)
- Has all the basic stitches, a free arm (useful for sleeves!) and comes with feet including zipper and buttonhole
- 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 52 reviews
Brother 1034 D. Goes on sale 8.30pm EST July 11 (Currently $216)
- This is a super popular entry-level serger, which will do a 3 or 4 level serger/overlock stich
- It has a removable free arm which is great for hemming sleeves, and a differential feed dial to adjust for waviness or fabric stretching out.
- 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, with 3,025 reviews
- This serger has lots of reviews on PatternReview.com, including this most recent 5 star review.
Embroidery and Sewing Machines
Singer SE300. Goes on sale 8.20pm EST July 11 (Currently $781)
- 200 built-in embroidery designs, 6 alphabet options, 250 stitch options.
- 1o presser feet, two hoops
- 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 7 reviews
Singer XL-580 Futura Embroidery and Sewing Machine. Goes on sale 10.10 am EST July 11 (Currently $1,423)
- This crazy beast has 215 sewing stitches and 250 pre-programmed embroidery designs
- It includes a knee lift, endless embroidery hoop and connects to your computer with a USB
- 3.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 140 reviews
Rotary cutting mats
Paragon Cutting Mats. Goes on sale 7.50pm EST July 11 (Currently $29.99)
- If you use a rotary cutter, then a cutting mat is a must! The mats are often incredibly expensive, so these look like a great deal.
This is a more general offer, but you can get $5 off a $15 book purchase (not including eBooks) when you use the code PRIMEBOOKS17 (expires 11.59pm PT, 12 July)
Here are my top two recommendations:
Fit For Real People. This is my absolute favourite book for fitting, period. The ONLY book that I think all sewists should have on the shelf at all times.
What do you think – will you be scoring any amazing Prime Day deals this year? I’m still pondering an Instant Pot….