It’s starting to look like a coat! Sewing began apace this weekend.
First up: bound buttonholes. Once again I used Karen’s Bound Buttonhole eBook which is essential reading: so easy to follow! Such nice results! I love bound buttonholes – I was never even aware of them before I started sewing, but now they’re the kind of craftsmanship that I notice and appreciate on garments, and they’re actually pretty easy once you’ve practiced a few times. The key trick is sewing the two parallel lines *precisely* the same length, which means not just sewing to your chalk line, but sewing to the same *side* of the chalk line. While I’m not the most accurate sewist, I’m getting better at this.
The interfaced cashmere also took the buttonholes really well. Of course, I did manage (despite doing a test buttonhole) to initially sew the welts onto the *wrong* side of the fabric as opposed to the right side of the fabric, as I did the last time I made a coat. But luckily it was caught before too much irreversible slashing had happened, and I was able to do a rescue.
The finished things, basted shut (which is why they look a little hairy)