Last year, the Cashmerettes became divided by an entire state, with only the I-90 to connect them, but this weekend marked a triumphal reunion! And my newest make – a stripy Renfrew – made its maiden outing in the Hudson valley.
I followed the Vertical FBA approach from Communing with Fabric, and added in an extra inch length on the front piece. Then, I eased it in to the back piece, as of about 3 inches below the underarm seam.
It worked well! Here’s the side where you can see much less bunching than usual under my arms – not to mention the rather fabulous stripe-matching, if I say so myself.
I made it using a lovely fluid jersey from DrygoodsDesign in Seattle. For the neckline, I started using the neckband approach but… once more, it didn’t stay flat. I’ve used various techniques in the past and still never managed, so there’s still some learning to be done on that front. However! After unpicking it I decided to use some pre-made bias binding I bought years ago instead – and it turned out much better than it would have with the band. Yay! The brighter blue also provides a lovely contrast – it looks quite Boden, I think. I also used elastic in the shoulders, which will hopefully help it keep its shape for a while.
All in all, a great basic for the wardrobe, and it only took me an evening! Quite an improvement over my first attempt way back in the day, when I’d just started with knits…
And finally, a few snapshots from the lovely Cashmerette weekend: